Saturday 16 January 2010

Today's idea - See 'The Ugly One'



Yesterday on Brighton's Reverb radio I heard what essentially sounded like a segment involving the presenter reading a newspaper. I was confused as we don't have this segment of radio where i come from, but she payed nice music so it was okay. My point, is that this newspaper reading involved a mention of upcoming plays and entertainment type things. She mentioned 'The Ugly One', which was on my list to talk about and now it means that it must be talked about with slightly more gusto than normal.

'The Ugly One' comes out today at the New Venture Theatre and the blurb says thus of the plot:

"Lette, a happy employee of an electronics company, thought he was normal. But to everyone else, including his loving wife, he is 'unspeakably ugly'. When the extent of his ugliness is revealed he turns to a plastic surgeon for help. But after the bandages come off, he soon learns that there is such a thing as too beautiful."

It's a play involving eight characters played by four actors. Apparently the "role-changing becomes mind-bending as the characters proliferate and share names and faces. The last time I saw something like this was in a World War II play I saw with my school when i was 13. It was a professional acting 'troupe' and it was done really well. I rarely go to the theatre or such to see things in some form of acting (films and TV meanwhile, I am there) and I'd like to go again (because theatre is secretly fabulous, although maybe it's just me who doesn't know this.)

In good news, tickets cost £8, £6 on Tuesdays, and £9 on final night. This leaves you from between £1 - £4 from a tenner to spend on sweeties and wine and such good things.

Director Mike Stubbs says of 'The Ugly One': "This is a fantasy that relies on feeding the imagination of the audience. My aim is to create the world of cartoon comedy on stage where the only real thing is the laughter".

In other good words, they also call it "An evening of fantasy and farce that has the bounce and snap of music-hall cross-talk."

Find tickets and more info here, although I'd hurry as they might disappear soon. Opening night is tonight, and it closes on the 23rd. Which is soon, so chop chop!


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment