Friday 16 April 2010

Today's idea - My Arm at The Basement



Today The Basement, of which we are rather fond, have a curious performance titled 'My Arm'. Having toured internationally since it premiered at the Traverse Theatre in 2003, this is the first time it comes to the public eye in Brighton.

"“At the age of 10, for want of anything more meaningful to do, I put my arm above my head and kept it there. Now, thirty years on, I’m so full of meaning it’s killing me.”

Told through performance, film and the animation of everyday objects, my arm is the story of an empty gesture. It’s the confession of a man who has lived for thirty years by the courage of his lack of conviction. In that process he’s become a celebrated medical specimen and an icon of the New York art scene.  It’s about modern art, bloody-mindedness and how the things we do when we’re ten stick with us for life."


"Colossally powerful” says The Scotsman, singing its praise.

The Basement is often home to experimental performers, describing itself fairly accurately as "a vibrant hub for all things subversive and idiosyncratic". We're not sure if it'll be taking place in The Space, a large room with "unbound experimentation" or in the more intimate amphitheater known as 'The Pit' with a sunken stage but we expect a visit to the arty venue to be very much worth it.

Written and performed by Tim Crouch; film by Chris Dorley-Brown
Date: Fri 16th & Sat 17th April
Doors: 7.30pm
Tickets: £8 / £6 (Concessions)
Find it on the map here.

No comments:

Post a Comment